The local organizing committee and IUCr have committed to extending the outreach of the 24th Congress all over the world. IUCr is committed to spreading the message of crystallography and science, in keeping with the theme of IYCr 2014, to regions of the world where the spread of science has been comparatively at a lower level.
Within India, outreach programs will be taking in the form of involvement of students in schools and colleges, as well as programs held in local Indian languages throughout our vast country. It is hope that the 24th Congress will have a long term beneficial effect on the spread of healthy scientific activity in India.
The specific outreach objectives within in India are to disseminate information about:
- Significance of the science of crystallography in the context of IUCr2017
- How to make all aware of the 24th IUCr Congress
Suggestions for outreach:
- Visits to universities, institutes, colleges and schools
- Main target student audience are:
- I and II Intermediate/PUC (11th and 12th)
- For outreach, total one hour is suggested
- lecture 30 to 45 minutes
- brief information about IUCr2017 Congress 15 minutes
- If time and resources permit a written or oral quiz can be conducted and prizes given for the two best students.
- Depending on the level of the audience, the lecture content can be customized.
- Congress website to be promoted
- Social media promotion through Facebook and Twitter
Outreach activities in various parts of the country are important for many reasons
- Identifying Congress participants from smaller institutions
- Identifying student volunteers (M. Sc. students)
- Sensitizing B.Sc. and M.Sc. level students about the broad appeal of crystallography
- Talking about crystallography and science in general and the fact that a huge scientific conference is being held in India.
- Outreach activities in regional languages
Click here to view the below map enlarged.
For those interested in conducting such programs, please contact:
Coordinator IUCr20l7 India outreach
The Local Organizing Committee may be able to provide a small amount of funds to conduct these programs. Please send the details to Mr. Rajesh if you would like to apply for such funds.